Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Mariner gets its wings

I have become the proud owner of a 1967 O'Day mariner, number 1007, about two months ago. The boat has had an uneventful past. I got it for free from someone who wanted to give it a better home to someone who would really take care of it. As a tall ship sailor, I considered myself up for the task, got the boat launched, motored 20 miles to a yard location and started doing work on it. It is in great condition for its age. Sails look new, hull is perfect, and just some dirt and mold accumulation here and there. Some paint chipped off in the cockpit, and the cockpit sole boards need refinished. All in all, not a bad boat to get for free. 

I ended up moving into the boat a few weeks ago also. Its small, but I don't own a lot of things because of my traveling lifestyle. I installed a solar panel, and have been outfitting the electrical systems to be more robust. Most of the gauges are mounted on a custom made board insert with door assembly that let's you close off the cabin. Boat is fairly well sealed, with a small problem at the starboard chainplate leaking inside. 

Yesterday was a very monumentous occasion for the boat -- I decided to take Rhapsody for a sail. The boat hasn't sailed since the original owner had it, and without reference materials rigged the boat the best I could. There were small problems as I remedy sheets and such while underway, but we eventually sailed out past Boston Harbor and near Spectacle island. We returned at night, and I got to try out the running lights, which worked wonderfully. 

This boat sure is a keeper! Few things I need to find: cushions for cockpit and V berth, proper rigging pieces for the flew and topping lift, and a new interior light. Would love to replace all the lights with LEDs.

No comments:

Post a Comment